History of the Children of Israel Congregation.
The German Jews came to Youngstown about the same time as the Jews from
Hungary, Poland, Russia settled here. these groups were not in sympathy with the
Reform movement. and held to their Orthodox ways.
By 1870, an informal orthodox minyan was formed. From this the group grew and
services were held in individual homes. On February 10, 1883 they formed a congregation known as B`nai Israel or Children of Israel Congregation. Services were
held on West Federal Street on the Porter Block. The last place they rented was in the
Hollister Store. In 1893 the first shul was built at 235 Summit between Watt Street and
Walnut Street. It was known as the Ungarishe shul. This building met all the needs for
Orthodox worship including a functioning mikvah.
The main portion of the congregation was Hungarian in nationality and non-Zionist
belief. this conflicted with the Russian Jews, who were Zionist in belief. Thus, in 1904
the first group broke away and formed Temple Elmanu-El and in 1919 another group
left and formed Anshe Emeth Congregation. This was almost the end of Children of Israel Congregation, but with a lot determination it managed to survive.
With the deterioration of the neighborhood and a fire which destroyed part of the
building, the Summit Avenue shul was sold 1959. In 1960 it was torn down and the Choffin Vocational School is now located on the lot.
The congregation moved into a large brick house at the corner of Fifth and Alameda Avenues. It had been built by Allen Klivans and the only addition necessary
was that of a mikvah. It was added in 1960.
Since 1982 the shul has shared space with Temple El Emeth on Logan Way in Liberty Township. They hold fast to orthodox traditions and laws, with a mechitza to
separate men and women during prayer, and they have the only functioning mikvah
between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Regular minyans take place.
Taken from the book " Jewish Cemeteries of Mahoning County, Ohio" by The Mahoning County Chapter of The Ohio Genealogical Society